bow (becoming an outdoors woman)

I'm back and rested after my trip to Lake Cumberland, Jabez, KY. I made my trip September 19- 22 to the 4H Camp weekend retreat/ workshop. I was becoming an outdoors woman. I did wildlife identification, archery, rock climbing/ ziplining and hiking. The lodge for which I stayed sat one mile from the lake and sported a rock climbing wall, hiking trails, swimming pool, a bird watch, a small cave and an old graveyard with two stone coffin crypts (one dated back to the 1700's).

I met some great people from the Salato Wildlife Center who brought a great horned owl and a black rat snake for the 100+ women to meet. It was exciting to be so close to the wildlife. Though we couldn't touch the owl we were afforded the privilege to hold the snake. At first I only took pictures.  As I warmed up to him I had my picture taken touching him and later holding him in my lap, his tongue tickling my arm.

I learned that a grapevine is not just for climbing but stores water for those needing a drink. I learned what a spice bush is and that you can make tea with it's leaves safely. You could eat the berries too but they won't taste good for its big seed. I learned that you can use the yeast of the huckleberry for cooking. I can now identify a beech tree and it's nuts. I learned that spring water isn't as safe to drink as I once thought. And, I ate a hickory nut for the first time. It was really good considering I don't like or eat nuts.

So... I wait for next year's workshops where I may try fly fishing, paddle boarding, kayaking and ghillie making. Coming soon... photos!!

5 comments:

Al said...

That sounds like a lot of fun. I'd enjoy a seminar like that, although I obviously couldn't attend one just for women.

Naquillity said...

hello Al... it was great fun. but, it isn't just for women though the focus is for women to get outside and do more for themselves. all you have to do is look up bow for your area and see what they offer and when. there's plenty for everyone.

Kay said...

Darn... I wanted to see the photo of the snake tickling your arm. :-)

Rambling Woods said...

It sounds like a wonderful time.....

Travis Cody said...

I admire you for getting so close to nature and learning so much. I'm definitely a city guy.