Circled Openings

Tuesday I needled my way around the nature preserve's pond of screaming frogs protesting my presence and entered the woods. There a red bellied woodpecker foraging for food posed for my camera.  I can hear what sounds like an owl on the other side of the woods whoing. Five turkey vultures above head circle in and out for something only they see. I continue walking around seeing trees and bushes blooming green. Robins hide in the thick of briars and bush flitting anxiously from one log to another as I pass. Upon a new path is a thick bush with sunlight passing through it's circled openings. When I leave I spot a northern flicker searching the ground for food. The bathroom holds a few surprises of its own. There's a wasp sitting along the toilet lid who allows me to take him on a white carpet ride outside. He flies into the sunlit afternoon after a small pause. Ladybugs have filled the skylight in the bathroom as well as other spaces but I don't disturb them.

5 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

lovely to have all those birds around!

Carver said...

Great description of what you are hearing and seeing.

Rambling Woods said...

I agree...wonderful description of spring

eileeninmd said...

Sounds like a lovely walk. Seeing the birds and hearing the frogs, are all lovely sounds of spring. Enjoy your weekend!

Caron said...

I really like turkey vultures. I understand they are quite smart.