Viewfinder

Walking across the road I realize I'm exposing myself. There's a red tailed hawk sitting in a tree where earlier there'd been two eastern fox squirrels. For the third time that day I weathered the cold biting my face and hands. I've almost reached the fence that separates us but, not quite. I can see through my viewfinder he's watching me over his left shoulder. I inch my way closer. It's after taking this photo I find my battery has died and this perfect specimen has flown across the field.

6 comments:

Caron said...

Talk about timing!

Rambling Woods said...

I wonder if it was hunting the squirrels...I am always out with a loaded memory card or dead battery.. when will I learn....Michelle

Anonymous said...

Of course! If I ever run into an alien I will probably have a dead battery.

That seems to be a good place to shoot photos.

Rose said...

Weren't you glad you at least got this photo...

Caroline Gill said...

Yes, I'm pleased you got this photo, Naquillity. I clicked to enlarge and loved the similarity between the markings on the feathers and the bark on those amazing trees!

Bill said...

All that careful stalking and the battery in your camera goes dead! That figures!

Nevertheless a very nice story and well worth the exposure to the elements. I enjoyed this!