Mayfly


You had your feet on four different foot holds this morning navigating your way across jagged terrain. You were exercising your upper and lower body strength giving your translucent wings a rest. From the other side of the mountain I saw your efforts. They were playing out across my grey eyes like a silent film. No words to express your journey only a mindfulness of your duty. I am unable to trek with you so I document your climb with vigor. Seven hours without food or water along this barren desert of screen wire and no companion except for myself. Suddenly, effortlessly you are gone without a forwarding address.

18 comments:

Katie said...

this is what I imagine REAL fairies look like...

Katie said...

this is what I imagine REAL fairies look like...

Katie said...

so exciting, I said it twice I guess :)

Kateri said...

So delicate looking.

Al said...

Exquisite. This is perfect, the way the light illuminates the mayfly is outstanding.

Kirigalpoththa said...

Unusual fly! Excellent photo!

Gemma Wiseman said...

Love your reflective words to complement your stunning photo of this little creature!

TC said...

I'm pretty sure I've never seen a Mayfly before...

Rambling Woods said...

What a catch!!!

anthonynorth said...

What a great photo. And so much patience to take it.

Carver said...

Fantastic shot and words too. I hope you have had a good weekend.

Mary said...

Lovely!...both photo and writing :-)

Unknown said...

Great lighting and nice capture! Best photo I have seen of a Mayfly.

Unknown said...

You and that great lighting made him look great! I do not like them though, always fear they will get stuck in my hair.

Quiet Paths said...

Very, very cool picture. Mayflies live for the day...

Deb said...

Terrific image, in both! I don't see May flies here, so it was a real treat.

Max-e said...

Interesting little fellow

Crafty Green Poet said...

Mayflies are so delicate and the light in this photo really emphasises that