hope


tired and weary bodies march
across shifting sands for our freedom;
blisters on their heels and blood on their hands
becomes their motto in strange lands.

stiff bones and heavy eyes keep watch
for bombs cascading through the night;
these falling stars are unwanted wishes-
they'll miss their loved ones kisses.

aching minds wake to another day
with and without their fellow soldiers.
they're teaching their heart and spirit to cope
while standing front line with hope.

Memorial Day is a time to reflect what our soldiers past and present have done for our country. They've given us freedom at a heavy price to their friends and family. Those who succeeded their fellow soldiers carry an even heavier burden with them throughout the remainder of their lives.

May those who march forward to a new day return safely and for those who've passed... may you rest in peace. To soldiers and veterans alike, "Thank you for everything you've sacrificed for our freedom."

8 comments:

Travis Cody said...

I really like that last stanza.

I will always remember those who gave all in the name of duty and honor.

Unknown said...

I know many past and present soldiers and I thank them as often as possible. They are all so appreciated!

Meri said...

Perfect Memorial Day piece. Thanks for your tender heart.

Lynda Lehmann said...

What a wonderful, heartfelt tribute! Well done.

And I love your header photo!

Rambling Woods said...

I love the poem and how true...

Anya Padyam said...

That was a wonderful poem, a great tribute and a reminder to remember!!!

Robert Lloyd said...

"stiff bones and heavy eyes keep watch
for bombs cascading through the night;
these falling stars are unwanted wishes-"

I am a veteran of 10 yeras and though I never had to deal with this situation directly myself I have many friends who have and are currently overseas. Having trained for this I want to let you know how perfect a description it is. Stiff bones and Heavy eyes are so true especailly at 3 in the morning when everyone else is sleeping counting on your Heavy eyes, mine was practice. I have many a friend where it is for real. Very Good Poem.

Naquillity said...

robert thank you for your comment on my poem. it's one i will carry close to heart for some time. what these men/ women endure during war should never be forgotten. thank you for your time and efforts during service to our country. it's greatly appreciated. may your friends be safe and for those who weren't so lucky may they rest in peace.