Garden Spider


Wednesday morning I went outside and saw this black and yellow garden spider. It was sitting quietly between my house and back deck. I had to take a picture because of its web. That zigzag down the middle is fascinating.

I have my very own writing spider whose already caught dinner twice. It grabbed a fly, I think, and a baby grasshopper that I startled into its web last night. I felt so bad for the grasshopper. I was actually trying to move away from the web to give my storyteller more room. That's when the little guy hopped into the web. This morning the spider was eating the fly and I noticed the grasshopper was already gone.

I'm hoping my spider is a female and that she'll lay eggs so I can document the process with my camera. If I'm so lucky I'll share my explorations. Until then have a great day.

Follow the links for information on the black and yellow garden spider. 

11 comments:

anthonynorth said...

I like spiders. There's nothing better for keeping a house insect free.

Quiet Paths said...

She is very nicely dressed too with such an interesting pattern! If she is laying eggs I bet she ate her mate as well. Nice, Michelle. I will look forward to more.

Red Bird said...

I've never seen the zig-zaggy thing before! Cool!
:)

B.Held said...

Wow, this is the most interesting web I've ever seen!

Just someone said...

That is a beautiful picture:)

Have a great weekend!

angie said...

that is so cool!! never seen a zig-zag like that before in a web--it must mean something. I look forward to the pictures you will undoubtedly capture!

what a lovely thing to have, a storyteller spider. how lucky you are!

beth said...

if this is the kind of spider we once caged....she produced egg sacks the size of ping pongs and ate her make counterpart when she was all done using him...

careful what you wish for.....I'd do some research and get her as far away from your house as you can...

I'm just saying......

lisaschaos said...

I love garden spiders - they're so colorful and pretty! I too hope she makes eggs for you!

Kaytabug said...

Spiders creep me out, but that doesn't stop me from trying to take their pictures. I have this exact spider at my place. I never tried to find out what it was.

That's a great shot!

Kirigalpoththa said...

That is a good capture! I love to watch spiders and their behaviour..

Rambling Woods said...

Great photo..I just starting taking notice of the spiders around the yard this summer..They are really cool to watch...