Scarecrowess

by Leontine May
art Watercolor
from Flickr








Somewhere amidst the bluegrass field,
A small child’s white dress
With two buttons instead of a ribbon’s braid
Tossed itself across small blades with finesse.

The Sunday dress landed on petrified wood;
A post, standing in a tuft of green grass.
It’s waiting for an arm so it won’t be misunderstood.
Then Braylee with curling cockleburs made her a lass.

Now she watches Poe’s black crow
Standing atop a jibing white brolly
Where he was trying to stow
Away a mouthful of broccoli.

When the crow flew away without so much as a splinter,
She squiggled in dance with her funny looking scarecrow.

1 comment:

Naquillity said...

Mariacristina said...

Very imaginative. I like how the dress landed out of the blue on the post, and how the crow comes to life, talking to the dress.

I really like these bouts-rimés sonnets. In fact, I wrote about them and credited you for a column coming out this week on RWP.

Monday, April 21, 2008
Delete
Blogger Noah the Great said...

Oh, this has wonderful imagery! I really like how you used Poe. I read the Raven again today.

Monday, April 21, 2008
Delete
Blogger paisley said...

very nice michelle... you have really been putting an emphasis on your form lately,, and i can see the discipline is paying off... well done!!!!

Monday, April 21, 2008
Delete
Blogger anthonynorth said...

The power of nature to create an image.
Marvellous!

Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Delete
Anonymous lissa said...

I like this and I like reference to Eager Allen Po, at least that's how I read it

Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Delete
Anonymous lissa said...

Okay, I really meant "Poe" but you probably already knew that, I am so out of it this week....

Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Delete
Anonymous Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

Michelle, this was so great to read, as I kept reading I found more and more reasons to smile.

Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Delete
Blogger Just someone said...

it flows really well and the picture it paints is nice - not eerie like mine:)

Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Delete
Anonymous S. Thomas Summers said...

excellent image. thanks.

Thursday, April 24, 2008
Delete
Anonymous one more believer said...

i loved the images seen ..amidst the bluegrass field..

Friday, April 25, 2008

July 5, 2008 at 8:54 AM
Delete